Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Food Rules by Michael Pollan


Came across a great book by Michael Pollan called Food Rules.

64 memorable rules on healthy eating compiled from suggestions by common people like you and me, grandmothers, dieticians and more.

Some that I liked and try to follow:

- The whiter the bread, the sooner you’ll be dead. (which I why I try to use whole wheat even in desserts that call for all-purpose or maida)

- Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself. [Interesting way to curb on the junk food - of course french fries and cake take time to make]

- The law of diminishing marginal utility or the banquet is in the first bite. [We get the most satisfaction from the first bites, so savour them. Less is more. The experience of switching from Lindt truffles to Lindt swiss thins supports this]

- No second helpings. [Goes hand in hand with the above. I know that I have many many times wanted seconds because something tasted so good, but the second helping was an excess, I didn't need it and consequently felt that overfull feeling afterwards and said to myself - shouldn't have had that second helping... working on this one, its tough]

- It's not food if its called the same thing in different languages. [You have to think about this one - Doritos, Cheetos, Twinkies, etc]

- If you are not hungry enough to eat an apple, you are not hungry. [Def guilty of this. Craving vs hunger]

These were some of the ones I enjoyed. What are your food rules?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails