Friday, January 1, 2010

Carrot Souffle

I bake when I am in the mood to bake (which generally happens around 10 or 11pm) or if its someone's birthday or special occasion. I try to pick stuff that doesn't take hours otherwise I would be more consumed with the baking than practice or other work and of course, practice takes priority.

I had an itch to bake or cook over the last two days, but was warned against it, given the hours that were spent on the birthday cake(s) the previous week. I was going back and forth about whether or not to bake and one big con was that I didn't have much saltfree butter, no milk and not much flour - yep that really limited what I could do and I didn't have the time to go get stuff. BUT I did have a bunch of carrots. While searching for a carrot soup recipe, I found a carrot souffle recipe. Modifying looking at other recipes, here is what I did. It turned out to be a great dessert, not too sweet and great with ice cream. It was a great dessert for new year's eve dinner.

Great thing about this is that you can do the main stuff in the morning or night before. An hour or two before dinner, add the flour, eggs and baking powder and bake it for an hour. I boiled and pureed in the afternoon and kept it in the fridge for about 3 hours. You can keep it in the fridge overnight.

I took pictures.. or so I thought. I didn't have the memory card in my dslr.. oops

Carrot Souffle

Ingredients

  • 500grams carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
  • 1 egg + 1 egg white (or 1.5 eggs), beaten
  • 2 - 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened - i only had around 2.5 tbsp

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
  2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the carrots until very tender. Drain and add to mixer.
  3. Puree carrots with butter, vanilla extract and sugar. [Careful mixer will be hot if its a metal one like mine]. Transfer to bowl, allow to cool slightly and refrigerate.
  4. Mix in the flour, eggs, and baking powder. Transfer to a 1 quart baking dish.
  5. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until top is golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
[Note: this is not a picture of my souffle - mine was consumed before it could be photographed. But the texture and look was the same =)]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails